Assessment of Effectiveness of Methods and Techniques for Degassing Methane-containing Coal Seams
The findings of review of promising methods and techniques providing increasing effectiveness of degassing of coal seams containing methane in the process of their underground mining are presented. Based on the review findings, traditional methods and techniques of degassing were identified, the effectiveness of which is 12–25 %, as well as unconventional methods providing methane degassing of up to 40%. As a classification feature of the unconventional methods and techniques of gaseous methane liberation, a condition of decreasing pressure and increasing temperature of coal matrix containing solid gas hydrate has been adopted. The conditions for methane transition from gas hydrate to free gas taking into account actual mining and technogenic conditions of the mines have been identified. Given the difficulty of supplying additional thermal energy into a coal seam, as the main way to reduce pressure in the seam, unloading of the rock mass relative to the initial stress state, and disruption of coal and rocks in the course of transition from their elastic deformation to elastic-plastic and out-of-limit deformation are accepted.
About the AuthorS. N. Shirjaev
Deputy Technical Director
1. Ruban A. D. Preparation and excavation of coal seams with high gas content. / Ruban A.D., Artemyev V. B., Zaburdyaev V. S. [et al.]. Moscow, Gornaya Kniga [Mining Book] Publ., 2010, 500 p. (in Russ.).
2. Klishin V. I. [et al.]. Safety problems and new technologies for underground coal mining [Text]. Ed. Malyshev, Yu.N. Novosibirsk, "Novosibirsk Writer" Publishing House, 2011, 524 p. (in Russ.).
3. Remezov A. V. et al. Methane liberation from coal seams and host rocks at Kuzbass mines. History. Present day. Future. Kemerovo, 2012, 848 p. (in Russ.).
4. Puchkov L. A. Extraction of methane from coal seams./ Puchkov, L.A., Slastunov, S.V., Kolikov K.S. Moscow, Publishing House of Moscow State Mining University, 2002, 383 p. (in Russ.).
5. Rodin R. I. Effectiveness of Kuzbass mines degassing. Bulletin of Scientific Center for Work Safety in Coal Industry, 2011, no. 2, pp. 116-119 (in Russ.).
6. Plaksin M. S. Gas-kinetic response of methane containing coal seam when producing fractures in it by fluid injection [Text]. / Plaksin M. S., Rodin R. I., Alkov V. I. High-end technologies for development and use of mineral resources. Сollector of scientific articles, Novokuznetsk, SibGIU Publ., 2017, pp. 63 - 67 (in Russ.).
7. Pashchenko A. F. Plasma Pulse Technology for enhancing oil recovery: estimation of mechanical effect parameters [Text]. / Pashchenko A. F., Avdeev P. G. Science and technology in gas industry, no. 3 (63), 2015, pp. 17-26 (in Russ.).
8. Manakov A. Yu. Clathrate hydrates at high pressures: structure, composition, properties [Text]: Extended Abstract of Doctoral (Chemistry) Dissertation, Institute of Inorg. Chemistry of SB RAS, Novosibirsk, 2007, 33 p. (in Russ.).
9. Shuqiang G. Investigation of Interactions between Gas Hydrates and Several Flow Assurance Elements [Текст] / G. Shuqiang // Energy and Fuels, 22 (5), 3150-3153, 2008.
10. Makogon Yu. F. Gas hydrates: prevention of their formation and their use [Text]. Moscow, Nedra Publ., 1985, 232 p. (in Russ.).
11. Plaksin M. S. Features of dynamic gas shows during development working driving [Text]. / Plaksin M. S., Ryabtsev A. A. High-end technologies for development and use of mineral resources. Сollector of scientific articles. Novokuznetsk. SibGIU Publ., 2017, pp. 67-73 (in Russ.).
12. Shepeleva S. A., Dyrdin V. V., Kim T. D, Smirnov V. G., Gvozdkova T. N. Methane and outburst hazard of coal seams [Text]. Tomsk, Publishing House of Tomsk University, 2015, 180 p. (in Russ.).
13. Ettinger I. L. Methane Solutions in Coal Seams [Text]. Solid State Chemistry, 1984, no. 4, pp. 28-35 (in Russ.).
14. Zhuravkov M. A., Polevshchikov G.Ya. Gas-dynamic response of rocks to construction of development workings. Bulletin of Scientific Center for Work Safety in Coal Industry, 2011, no. 2, pp. 39-52 (in Russ.).
15. Karkashadze G. G. Intensification of coal seam degassing based on its geotechnical conditions under nonsteady mechanical and sorption strains. /Karkashadze, G.G., Slastunov, S.V., Ermak, G.P., Mazanic, E.V. Coal, 2015, no. 11, pp. 62-65 (in Russ.).
16. Bespyatov G. A. Synergetics of outburst-prone mining environment [Text]. / Bespyatov G. A., Vylegzhanin V. N., Zoloyykh S. S. Novosibirsk, Nauka Publ., 1996, 191 p. (in Russ.).
17. Varekha Zh. P. Technological solutions for extraction of methane from coal-rock mass./ Varekha, Zh.P., Lis, S.N. Mining Journal of Kazakhstan, 2016, no. 2, pp. 6-9 (in Russ.).
18. Dickens G. R., O'Neil J. R., Rea D. K., and Owen R. M. Dissociation of oceanic methane hydrate as a cause of the carbon isotope excursion at the end of the Paleocene. Paleoceanography, 1995, No. 10, Pp. 965-971.
19. Federal rules and regulations for industrial safety "Instructions for prevention of endogenous fires and safe mining of coal seams prone to spontaneous combustion" Series 05. Number 46. Moscow, CJSC Scientific and Technical Center for Study of Industrial Safety Problems, 2016, 52 p. (in Russ.).
20. Сomposite authors. Forecasting technique using geophysical exploration methods and selection of measures to decrease endogenous fire hazard in inclined openings within coal seam. Kemerovo, SC VostNII Publ., 2007, 34 p. (in Russ.).
21. Petukhov I. M. Subsoil geodynamics [Text] / Petukhov, I.M., Batugina, I.M., Moscow, Nedra Communication LTD Publ., 1999, 256 p. (in Russ.).
22. Ageev P. G. Plasma Pulse Technology – innovative approach to the production of traditional hydrocarbons and unconventional approach to production of traditional and unconventional hydrocarbons and early degassing of coal seams./ Ageev P. G., Ageev N. P., Ageev D. P., Desyatkin A. S., Pashchenko A. F. Drilling and Oil, 2016, no. 7-8, pp. 34-40 (in Russ.).
For citation: Shirjaev S.N. Assessment of Effectiveness of Methods and Techniques for Degassing Methane-containing Coal Seams. Gornye nauki i tekhnologii = Mining Science and Technology (Russia). 2019;4(2):122-131. https://doi.org/10.17073/2500-0632-2019-2-122-131
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 License.