The Main Factors of Adverse Environmental Impact of Potash Production and Methods of Environmental Protection
Currently, an adverse environmental factor in the Soligorsk mining district is the effect of underground mining on the terrain and landscape. The remarkable thing is that flooding and waterlogging in the undermined territory of the potash mine fields is connected with specific natural conditions of the district. Clay-salt tailings are known to be stored in salt tailings piles. To prevent the filtration of brines and diffusive penetration of salts into underlying soil and groundwater and thereby prevent salinization of geological environment, in the areas where salt tailings piles are located and on the slopes of bund walls, an impervious screen is arranged. It was noted that in recent years, Belaruskali OJSC’s ore departments have been widely using high-altitude solid waste piling method, which reduces the area occupied by salt tailings piles. To prevent and eliminate excess brines, Belaruskali introduced a method for biological reclamation of spent salt tailings piles, which provides for creation of vegetation on the soil layer surface and the conditions for its self-regeneration. Five degrees of groundwater pollution in the Soligorsk industrial district were distinguished: low, medium, periodically high, high, and catastrophically high. It was found that the following factors have negative impact on flora and fauna in the district where potash enterprises operate: land acquisition for industrial sites, salt tailings piles and TSF and, as a result, reduction in the area of vegetation cover; flooding and waterlogging of lands due to subsidence of the earth's surface above the worked-out mine workings; salinization of territories adjacent to the enterprise by excess brines; impact of industrial dust and gas emission. One of salinization control measures is creation of forest shelter belts.
About the AuthorsN. A. Vysotskaya
Deputy Head of Department of scientific and technical information.
Soligorsk, Minsk region
E. V. Piskun
Engineer of scientific and technical Information (post-graduate student of Belarusian State University of Transport).
Soligorsk, Minsk region
1. Gledko Yu. A. Assessment of the degree of protection of groundwater in the area of extraction of potash salts. Geotectonics and mineral resources of Belarus: materials from University readings dedicated to the 100th anniversary of the birth of Dr. geol.-mineral. Sci., prof. Z. A. Gorelik. Minsk, April 4-5, 2008. Мп.: BSU, 2008. Pp. 67-70 (in Russ.).
2. Smychnik A. D., Bogatov B. A., Shemet S. F. Geoecology of potash production. Mn.: ZAO “UNIPAK”, 2005. 202 p. (in Russ.).
3. Prushak V. Ya., Vysotskaya N.A. Technology for reclamation of spent sludge storages. XIV International Conference on Open and Underwater Mining. Varna, July 3-7, 2017. Varna, 2017. Pp. 431-438 (in Russ.).
4. Current problems of geology: University geological readings dedicated to the 60th anniversary of the discovery of the Starobinsky potassium salt deposit, Minsk, April 3-4, 2009. Belarusian State University, Faculty of Geography; under the general. ed. E. A. Vysotsky et al. Mn., 2009. 94 p. (in Russ.).
5. Semenov A. V., Kuznetsova T. V., Stepanov A. L., Semenov V. M. Effect of nitrogen fertilizer and plant residues on the behavior of methane in gray forest soil. Agrochemistry. 2004. No. 4. Pp. 5-12. (in Russ.).
6. Hay J. T. Controlled release nitrogen fertilizers. Manual of Fertilizer Proc. Fert. Sci. and Techn. Series. 1987. Vol. 5. Pp. 421-435.
7. Laiche A. J. jr. Slow-release fertilizer evaluation with container-grown plants. Mississippi state univ. Mississippi agr. and forestry experiment station. 1996. Vol. 21, № 2. 5 p.
8. Andersson A. Cadmium effekts from phosporus fertilization in field experiments. A. Andersson, M. Hahlin. Swed. J. Agr. Res. 1981. Vol. 11. № 1.
9. Buswell A. M. Fundamentals of anaerobic treatment of organic wastes. 1957. 29 p.
10. Flaig W. Wirkung org. Bodensubstanzen und Ertragssicherung. Landbauforsch. W. Flaig, Н. Sochtig. Volkenrode, 1999. № 23. Pp. 19-28.
11. Henze M., Kristensen G. H., Strube R. Determination of organic matter and nitrogen in wastewater. Department of Environmental Engineering, Technical University of Denmark, Lyngby, Denmark. 1992.
12. Lie E., Welander T. Determination of volatile fatty acid potential of wastewater from different municipal treatment plants. Water Res., 1997, 31. Pp. 1269-1274.
13. Maier R. Pflanzen im Lebensraum Stadt. Die Storung der okologischen Ordnung in den Kulturlandschaften. Veroff.d.Komm.f. Humanokologie,Osterr.Akad.Wiss. 1992. Pp. 145-181.
14. McCarty P. L. Anaerobic waste treatment fundamentals. II. Enironmental reguirements and control. Public Works. 94, 1964. 123 p.
15. Kudeyarova A. Yu. Chemisorption of phosphate ions and destruction of organo-mineral sorbents in acidic soils. Soil Science, 2010. No. 6. Pp. 681-697 (in Russ.).
16. Kudeyarova A. Yu. Effect of ortho- and pyrophosphates on the transformation of iron-humus sorbents and their ability to bind potassium and zinc. Agrochemistry. 2005. No. 6. Pp. 66-75 (in Russ.).
17. Kuznetsova T. V., Semenov A. V., Khodzhaeva A. K. et al. Nitrogen accumulation in the microbial biomass of gray forest soil during decomposition of plant residues. Agrochemistry, 2003. No. 10. Pp. 3-12 (in Russ.).
18. Nikitishen V. I. Plant nutrition and fertilizer of agroecosystems in the conditions of the landslides of Central Russia. Moscow: Nauka, 2012. 485 p. (in Russ.).
19. Semenov V. M., Tulina A. S. Comparative characteristics of the mineralized pool of organic matter in the soils of natural and agricultural ecosystems. Agrochemistry, 2011. No 12. Pp. 53-63 (in Russ.).
20. Semenov V. M., Kogut B. M., Lukin S. M. et al. Assessment of the availability of soils with active organic matter based on the results of lengthy field experiments. Agrochemistry, 2013. No. 3. Pp. 19-31 (in Russ.).
21. Semenov V. M., Kuznetsova T. V., Khodzhaeva A. K. et al. Soil emission of nitrous oxide: influence of natural and agrogenic factors. Agrochemistry, 2004. No. 1. Pp. 30-39 (in Russ.).
For citation: Vysotskaya N.A., Piskun E.V. The Main Factors of Adverse Environmental Impact of Potash Production and Methods of Environmental Protection. Gornye nauki i tekhnologii = Mining Science and Technology (Russia). 2019;4(3):172-180. https://doi.org/10.17073/2500-0632-2019-3-172-180
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 License.