Driver Safety System Implementation in Europe
In mining industry safety is top priority. There is a request for safety management, risk prevention and operator training. Operator fatigue and distraction leads to dangerous situations. The paper is aimed at reviewing the issues of fatigued or distracted driver operation. This is achieved through creating models in occupational safety strategies. Hereafter the implementation of fatigue and distraction control system within a pilot project is discussed. The pilot project was aimed at collecting realistic operation data from mining industry in Europe. Caterpillar Inc. offers a solution called Driver Safety System (DSS). When driver’s micro-sleep is detected, the system alerts operator through different alarms directly. Dangerous events are also recorded and classified individually in 24/7 monitoring centre. The DSS was tested at European limestone open pit mine with typical working regime. This paper discusses theories, results and transferable insights of the study.
About the AuthorsL. Manthey
D. M. Popov
1. Angelone S. Driver safety system assessment summary report. 2019.
2. BG RCI 2016. Gefährdungsbeurteilung: Sieben Schritte zum Ziel. 2016.
3. Caterpillar. Fatigue risk assessment. 2015.
4. Caterpillar. Fatigue and distraction in management: Improving safety through technology and continuous improvement. 11th edition. 2018. Available from: http://viewpointmining.com/article/fatigue-and-distraction-management.
5. Caterpillar. Fatigue Infographic: Metric Statistics. 2018.
6. Caterpillar. DSS progress report #5. 2019.
7. Caterpillar. DSS progress report #7. 2019.
8. Caterpillar. Safety Services. Driver safety system (DSS) fatigue intervention plan (FIP). 2018.
9. Dagmar D. Aus Fehlern lernen. Teil I. Nordrhein. 2011.
10. Evers C., Auerbach K. Übermüdung als Ursache schwerer Lkw-Unfälle. Zeitschrift für Ver kehrssicherheit. 2015;52: 67–70.
11. Gassner W. Skript zur Vorlesung Arbeitssicherheit: AS 1.VL Einführung. Freiberg (Saxony); 2018.
For citation: Manthey L., Popov D.M. Driver Safety System Implementation in Europe. Gornye nauki i tekhnologii = Mining Science and Technology (Russia). 2019;4(4):302-308. https://doi.org/10.17073/2500-0632-2019-4-302-308
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 License.