A New Concept of the Mechanism of Rock-Tectonic Bursts and Other Dynamic Phenomena in Conditions of Ore Deposits
In mining technical literature, the prevailing idea is still that rockbursts in open pits and underground mines are caused by gravitational forces produced by the overburden rock mass, put forward in the 20th century by S.G. Avershin and I.M. Petukhov. This concept is the basis for the rules of safe mining at rockburst-hazardous deposits, including modern guidance documents of Rostekhnadzor. Numerous studies of the behavior of a rock mass as a geological medium, the phenomena causing rockbursts in underground workings, the mechanisms of manifestation of rockbursts and rock-tectonic bursts change many ideas. They have now become urgently needed to explain the causes of particularly powerful geodynamic phenomena in mines - rock-tectonic bursts, technogenic earthquakes - phenomena that were practically not observed in the 20th century. Intense geodynamic events in mines (rock-tectonic bursts, technogenic earthquakes), comparable in energy level to natural earthquakes, have once again shown their analogy with natural earthquakes to be studied by seismology. M.A. Sadovsky et al. established the law of self-similarity of seismic process at different scale levels. Based on this law, the relationships established for seismic focuses proved to be applicable to dynamic manifestations of rock pressure at mines. In this paper, further details of this analogy are developed. It shows which forms of dynamic manifestations of rock pressure correspond to which sizes of structural heterogeneity of rock mass. Based on the law of self-similarity of seismic processes at different scale levels, we showed that the energy characteristics of the rock pressure manifestations at mines obey the laws established in seismology.
About the AuthorA. V. Lovchikov
1. Avershin S.G. Rock burst. Moscow: Ugletekhizdat Publ.; 1995. 235 p. (In Russ.).
2. Petukhov I. M., Ilyin A. M., Trubetskoy K. N. (eds.) Forecast and prevention of rock-bursts in mines. Moscow: AGN Publishing House; 1997. 376 p. (In Russ.).
3. Petukhov I.M., Linkov A.M. Rock burst and outburst mechanisms. Moscow: Nedra Publ.; 1983. 280 p. (In Russ.).
4. Federal standards and rules in the field of industrial safety “Regulations for the safe conduct of mining operations at deposits prone (and dangerous) to rockbursts” (approved by Order of the Federal Service for Ecolog-ical, Technological and Nuclear Supervision No. 576 of December 2, 2013). (In Russ.).
5. SNiP 11.02.02-85. Foundation soils of hydraulic structures. Moscow; 1986. 38 p. (In Russ.).
6. Lovchikov A. V. Rational classification of structural block heterogeneity of rock masses for mines. Min-ing Information and Analytical Bulletin. 1999;(6):226–230. (In Russ.).
7. Catalog of rockbursts at ore and nonmetallic deposits Severouralskoye, Tashtagolskoye, Ok-tyabrskoye (Norilsk), Kukisvumchorrskoye (PO Apatit), Kachkanarskoye and others. Leningrad: VNIMI Publ.; 1989. 182 p. (In Russ.).
8. Lovchikov A. V. Parameters of focal points of the most severe rockbursts at Russian mines. Mining Journal. 2000;(2):9-11. (In Russ.).
9. Gibovicz S. J. Keynote lecture: The mechanism of Seismic events induced by mining. A review. Rockburst and seismicity in mines. Rotterdam: Balkema; 1990. P. 3-27.
10. Ebrahim-Trollope, R. Gutenberg–Richter relationship and mine-induced seismicity as observed at the African Rainbow Minerals mines—Klerksdorp. Proc. Fifth Int. Symp. Rockbursts and Seismicity in Mines. Van Aswegen, G., Durrheim, R. J., Ortlepp W. D. (eds.). The South African Institute of Mining and Metallurgy, Symposium Series S27; 2001. P. 501–508.
11. Lovchikov A. V. The strongest earthquakes and rock-tectonic bursts in Russ. mines. Saarbrücken: Pal-marium Academic Publishing; 2016. 141 p.
12. Sadovsky M. A., Bolkhovitinov L. G., Pisarenko V. F. Deformation of geophysical environment and seismic process. Moscow: Nauka Publ.; 1987. 100 p. (In Russ.).
13. Gere J., Shah H. Unsteady terra firma. What is an earthquake and how to prepare for it. Moscow: Mir Publ.; 1988. 220 p. (In Russ.).
14. Mining Encyclopedia. Vol. 5. Moscow: Soviet Encyclopedia; 1991. p. 263.
15. Smirnov V. A., Ivanov-Rostovtsev A. T., Kolotilo L. G. Inter-block self-regulation in the hierarchy of structures. Proceedings of Russian Academy of Sciences. 1992;323(4):664-666. (In Russ.).
16. Johnston J. C. Rockburst from a global perspective. Garlands Beiträge zur Geophysik. 1989;98(6):474–490.
For citation: Lovchikov A.V. A New Concept of the Mechanism of Rock-Tectonic Bursts and Other Dynamic Phenomena in Conditions of Ore Deposits. Gornye nauki i tekhnologii = Mining Science and Technology (Russia). 2020;5(1):30-38. https://doi.org/10.17073/2500-0632-2020-1-30-38
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 License.