Issues of Improving Control and Increasing Efficiency of Production Blocks at an ISL Uranium Mine
The tasks of continuous optimizing production, looking for ways of increasing performance, cutting mining costs and expanding mineral resource base of a mining enterprise are becoming more relevant than ever in conditions of the current negative trends at the world market of uranium resources. Increasing enterprise competitiveness requires permanent improvement of approaches and methods for managing performance of production blocks of a mine and ensuring the necessary volumes of reserves prepared for production. In the study, a theoretical information analysis of the process flow sheet of commercial ISL uranium production was carried out. The regression relationships between the main indicators of the production process cycles were determined, and the task of controlling production blocks at the stages of acidification, active leaching, completing operation, and decommissioning was formalized. The statistical characteristics of a production block cells and the distribution of uranium reserves, obtained based on the data of ore body drilling-in, as well as the analysis of the dynamic pattern of uranium production and recovery by production block depending on time, the balance of production block productivity by pregnant and leaching solutions enabled calculating key geotechnological indicators that formed the basis for calculating regression relationships between the uranium recovery and the ratio of the leaching solution amount to the rock mass amount, as well as for estimating specific consumption of sulfuric acid and electricity depending on operation time. This approach allowed identifying the problem areas and promising ways for improving the control procedure and performance of ISL mine wellfield operation. The planned measures will allow re-estimating resource potential of a production block while simultaneously providing a reasonable forecast of the residual uranium reserves in the being exploited and drilled-in blocks, reducing costs at the main development stage, and, by providing timely decommissioning of the blocks, reducing power consumption, optimizing sulfuric acid consumption, and overall improving quality of projecting and planning the production indicators for achieving uranium production targets. The study results can be used for improving short- and medium-term planning of technical and economic indicators of main development and production based on the forecast of ore interval sizes in production blocks that contributes to strengthening resource base and increasing capitalization of a company.
About the AuthorD. R. Podrezov
1. U3O8 Production Review. Ux Weekly. 2010;22(10). March 10.
2. Woods P., Pool T., Benes V., Gorbatenko O., Jones B., Marten H., Solodov I., Slezak J. International overview of ISL uranium mining operations. In: International Symposium on Uranium Raw Material for the Nuclear Fuel Cycle: Exploration, Mining, Production, Supply and Demand, Economics and Environmental Issues (URAM-2014). 23-27 June 2014. Vienna: International Atomic Energy Agency; 2014. P. 138.
3. Nazarova Z. M., Ovseychuk V.A., Lementa O. Yu. Uranium market: current state, problems and prospects of development. Problemy sovremennoj ekonomiki. 2016;(2):159-162. (In Russ.).
4. Svyatetskiy V. S., Solodov I. N. The strategy of technological development of uranium mining industry of Russia. Gornyi zhurnal. 2015;(7):68-77. DOI: 10.17580/gzh.2015.07.10. (In Russ.).
5. Derek M. Insight: Uranium is in a holding pattern. Commodity Insights Bulletin; 2015. 8 p.
6. Arnold N., Gufler K. The future of Nuclear Fuel Supply. In: Proceedings of the 1st INRAG Conference on Nuclear Risk. 16-17 April 2015. Vienna: University of Natural Resources and Life Sciences in Vienna; 2015. P. 1-27.
7. The Global Nuclear Fuel Market. Supply and Demand 2011-2030. WNA report; 2011. 236 р.
8. Golik V. I., Kultyshev V. I. History and prospects of uranium leaching. Mining Information and Analytical Bulletin. 2011;(7): 138-143. (In Russ.).
9. Decree of the Government of the Republic of Kazakhstan No. 926 of 20.08.2002 "On the concept for development of uranium industry and nuclear power industry of the Republic of Kazakhstan for 2002-2030". (In Russ.).
10. Rogov E. I., Yazikov V. G., Rogov A. E. Optimization of prepared for extraction reserves at uranium drillhole in-situ leaching mines. Mining Information and Analytical Bulletin. MGGU Publishing House 2002;(4): 149-150. (In Russ.).
11. Sakirko G. K., Noskov M. D., Istomin A. D. Optimization of extracting blocks in the process of ISL uranium production. In: Proceedings of the IV International Conference for Young Nuclear Scientists of Siberia. October 23-25. Tomsk: Publishing House of Tomsk Polytechnical University; 2013. P. 30 (In Russ.).
12. Dzhakupov D. A. Improving efficiency of uranium ISL production. In: Proceedings of International Scientific and Technical Conference "Innovative Development of Mining Industry”. Kryvyi Rih; 2016. P. 130-133. (In Russ.).
13. Yusupov H. A., Dzhakupov D. A., Bashilova E. S. Improving efficiency of complicated hydrogenic uranium deposit development due to the use of hydrogen peroxide. Gornyi Zhurnal. 2018;(2): 18-21. (In Russ.).
14. Polack C. Uranium exploration (2004-2014): New discoveries, new resources. In: International Symposium on Uranium Raw Material for the Nuclear Fuel Cycle: Exploration, Mining, Production, Supply and Demand, Economics and Environmental Issues (URAM-2014). 23-27 June 2014. Vienna: International Atomic Energy Agency; 2014. P. 8-9.
15. Zhivov V. L., Boytsov A. V., Shumilin M. V. Uranium: geology, mining, economics. Moscow: Atomred-metzoloto; 2012. 301 p. (In Russ.).
16. Karimov I. A., Khakimov K. Zh. Extraction of uranium mineralization of complicated structure by drillhole in-situ leaching. Mining Information and Analytical Bulletin. 2015;(9):67-69. (In Russ.).
17. Khawassek Y. M., Taha M. H., Eliwa A. A. Kinetics of Leaching Process Using Sulfuric Acid for Sella Uranium Ore Material, South Eastern Desert. Egypt International Journal of Nuclear Energy Science and Engineering. 2016;6:62-73.
18. Yurtaev A., Golovko V. Prospects of block underground leaching application on Streltsovskoe field deposits. In: International Symposium on Uranium Raw Material for the Nuclear Fuel Cycle: Exploration, Mining, Production, Supply and Demand, Economics and Environmental Issues (URAM-2014). 23-27 June 2014. Vienna: International Atomic Energy Agency; 2014. P. 172.
19. Akynov G. B., Alybaev Zh. A. Studying the effect of hydrogen peroxide on uranium leaching by the acid method in the conditions of Irkol deposit. Vestnik KazNRTU. Almaty, 2016;(1):493-497. (In Russ.).
20. Volkov V. P. Sorption processes at existing productions. Moscow: Publishing House "Ruda i Metally"; 2014. 160 p. (In Russ.).
21. Arens V.Zh., Gridin O.M., Kreinin E.V. et. al. Physico-Chemical Geotechnology. Textbook for Higher Educational Institutions. Moscow: Gornaya Kniga Publ.;2010. (In Russ.).
22. Verkhoturov A. G., Sabigatulin A. A. Intensification of uranium production using processing of filtering zones of geotechnological boreholes. Mining Information and Analytical Bulletin. 2019;(7):13-20. DOI: 10.25018/02361493-2019-07-0-13-20. (In Russ.).
23. Samoilov V. I., Saduakasova A. T. Hydro-mineral uranium-containing resources. Mining Information and Analytical Bulletin. 2015;(6):96-104. (In Russ.).
24. Titova S. M. Development of the process for sorption uranium extraction from ISL sulfate-chloride pregnant solutions. Ph.D. thesis in Engineering Science. 05.17.02. Yekaterinburg; 2018 (In Russ.).
25. Alikulov Sh. Sh., Sobirov Zh., Khaidarova M. E. Studies and implementation of methods for restraining spreading of pregnant solutions and intensification of ISL technological processes. Izvestiya vysshikh uchebnykh zavedenii. Gornyi zhurnal. 2018;(3): 100-106. (In Russ.).
26. Yusupov H. A., Dzhakupov D. A., Nazarbayeva N. A. Selection of arrangement and parameters of a production block boreholes. In; International research-to-practice conference "Scientific and personnel support of innovative development of mining-and-metallurgical industry”. Almaty; 2017. P. 168-170. (In Russ.).
27. Mataev M. M., Rakishev B. R., Kenzhetaev G. S. The impact of ammonium bifluoride complex on colma-taging formations during the process ofin situ uranium leaching. International journal of advanced research. 2017;(5): 147-154.
28. Golik V. I., Zaalishvili V. B., Gabaraev O. Z. Geophysical support of uranium leaching processes. Information and Analytical Bulletin. 2014;(7): 112-121. (In Russ.).
29. Uranium Resources, Production and Demand International: Nuclear Energy Agency and the International Atomic Energy Agency. Boulogne-Billancourt France. A Joint Report. Organisation for economic cooperation and development; 2018. 462 p.
30. Orakbaev E. Zh. Research and development of effective underground leaching process control systems. Doctoral thesis in Engineering Science. Almaty, KazNITU named after K.I. Satpayev; 2017. 117 p. (In Russ.).
31. Ahmed Saleh, Elldakli Fathi, McElroy Phillip. Simulation techniques used for modeling horizontal wells and the role of grid refinement. The International Journal of Engineering and Science (IJES). 2019;8(3):80-84.
32. Solodov I. N. In Situ Leach Mining of Uranium in the Permafrost Zone, Khiagda Mine, Russain Federation. In: URAM-2014. IAEA. International Symposium on Uranium Raw Material for the Nuclear Fuel Cucle: Exploration, Mining, Production, Sypply and Demand, Economics and Environment issues. 23-27 June. Vienna, Austria; 2014.
33. Molchanov A. A., Demekhov Yu. V. Improving efficiency of uranium ISL production from deposits of hydrogenic type in the Republic of Kazakhstan (case study of the Vostochny Mynkuduk deposit). In: Actual problems of uranium industry. Proceedings of VIIInternational Conference. Almaty, NAC Kazatomprom; 2014. P. 92-98. (In Russ.).
34. Satybaldiev B. S., Uralbekov B. M., Burkitbaev M. M. Performance evaluation for filtration leaching for extraction of uranium from uranium ore. Bulletin of Al-Farabi Kazakh National University. 2015;(3):23-27. (In Russ.).
35. Mataev M. M., Kenzhetaev Zh. S. New approaches to borehole regeneration in uranium ISL process. In: Innovations in integrated processing of minerals: Proceedings of the Abishev International Research-to-Practice Conference-2016. Almaty; 2016. P. 138-142. (In Russ.).
36. Noskov M. D., Kesler A. G., Terovskaya T. S., Babkin A. S., Posokhova E. M. Environmental monitoring and prediction of the subsoil conditions during uranium production at CJSC Dalur. In: Proceedings of Rogov Scientific Conference: Problems of Engineering Geology, Hydrogeology and Geoecology of Urbanized Territories. April 7-9 2015. Tomsk: Publishing House of Tomsk State Architecture and Building University; 2015. P. 208-211. (In Russ.).
37. Kenzhetaev Zh. S. Investigation of mineralogical composition of sedimentation in conditions of uranium ISL. Mining Information and Analytical Bulletin. 2019;(7): 123—131. DOI: 10.25018/0236-14932019-07-0-123-131. (In Russ.).
38. Poezjaev I. P., Polinovsky K. D., Gorbatenko O. A. et al. Uranium Geotechnology. Manual for graduate students. Demekhov Yu. V., Ibraev B. M. (eds.). Almaty; 2017. 327 p. (In Russ.).
For citation: Podrezov D.R. Issues of Improving Control and Increasing Efficiency of Production Blocks at an ISL Uranium Mine. Gornye nauki i tekhnologii = Mining Science and Technology (Russia). 2020;5(2):131-153. https://doi.org/10.17073/2500-0632-2020-2-131-153
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 License.