Effective International Approaches to Subsoil Public Administration
Development of economic sectors related to mining and processing industries is largely determined by national approaches to subsoil use regulation. For the Republic of Kazakhstan, having enormous geological potential, it is relevant and significant to develop and use globally competitive approaches to public administration of subsoil. Achieving these goals allows building in foreseeable future the potential for consistent and secure participation of the national economy in market interaction with leading global partners on mutually beneficial terms. In the paper, emphasis is placed on the fact that, despite forecasted promising geological data, significant excess of the scope of mining work over that of exploration is observed in the Republic of Kazakhstan. This is accompanied by low investment potential of the exploration sector. To solve the accumulated problems in the field of subsoil use, an analysis of the current situation was carried out, the causes of the current circumstances were identified, and the suggestions were made for improving the system of and approaches to public administration of subsoil, with justification of their effectiveness. The analysis convincingly showed that the reforms carried out in the field of subsoil use in the Republic of Kazakhstan and the changing trends in the global economy strongly require revising the previously used approaches to public administration of subsoil for developing the most effective system of public administration of subsoil. The study examined the international experience of public administration of subsoil in the countries that have achieved the greatest progress in this field, identified the basic principles in building a system of public administration of subsoil use, conducted historical analysis to determine the effect of the methods and approaches selected by state for subsoil administration at different stages of economic development. Based on the study findings, the risk zones of inefficient public administration of subsoil were identified, and approaches to improving the system and methods of public administration of subsoil in the Republic of Kazakhstan were proposed.
About the AuthorR. N. Baimishev
1. Atlas of Canada. Available from: https://www.nrcan.gc.ca/maps-tools-and-publications/maps/earth-sciences-maps/10789.
2. Mineral Resource Databank of Victoria, Australia. Available from: http://earthresources.vic.gov.au.
3. Berdenov S. A. Kazakhstani deposits of copper and tin and their development in the Bronze Age. Izvestiya NANKazakhstana. 2008;(1):42-55. (In Russ.).
4. Berezhnaya L. I. Performance indicators of the Federal subsoil fund management. Geologiya nefti i gaza = Russian Oil and Gas Geology. 2009;(4):61-67. (In Russ.).
5. Bobylev Yu. N., Turuntseva M. Yu. Taxation of mineral sector of economy. Proceedings No. 140P, Institute of Economic Policy named after E.T. Gaidar. Moscow; 2010. 200 p. (In Russ.).
6. Bogdanova E. P. Problems of reforming the Russian mining legislation, and methods for solving them proposed by A.F. Deryabin in a new mining enactment. Bulletin of Udmurt University. 2011;(1): 116-121. (In Russ.).
7. Vasilevskaya D. V. Normative consolidation of subsoil ownership: experience and trends. Journal of Russian Law. 2007;8(128):58-70. (In Russ.).
8. Speech by the Chairman of the State Committee for Investment and State Property Management of the Republic of Tajikistan Saidov D.Sh. at the panel meeting on promoting the mining industry transparency initiative in Tajikistan. Kokhi Vahdat, July 12, 2011. Available from: http://siteresources.worldbank.org.
9. Glukhov A. N. The practice of current exploration: international experience and Russian realities. NorthEastern Complex Research Institute. Magadan: Cordis Publ.; 2007. 84 p. (In Russ.).
10. Mining Encyclopedia, Kazakh Soviet Socialist Republic. Available from: http://www.mining-enc.ru/k/ka-zaxskaya-sovetskaya-socialisticheskaya-respublika. (In Russ.).
11. The Department of Mining, Industry Regulation and Safety (DMIRS) of Western Australia. URL: https://www.dmirs.wa.gov.au/
12. Yesenaliev A. E., Tokhanova R. Zh., Kozhaniyazov E. I. The concept of public administration in the field of subsoil use in the Republic of Kazakhstan. Modern problems of science and education. 2013;(6):7. (In Russ.).
13. Zhalelova R. Z., Pasternak A. A., Zhalelova S. Z. Strategic management of metallurgical industry of Kazakhstan. Almaty, Institute of Economics, National Academy of Sciences of the Republic of Kazakhstan Publ.; 2019. 80 p. (In Russ.).
14. Zhukova I. V. The system of mining industry management in Russia: the history of formation. Azimuth of Scientific Research: Economics and Administration. 2018;7(3(24)):96-99. (In Russ.).
15. The USSR Law ”On the Approval of the Subsoil Framework Legislation of the USSR and the Union Republics” of July 9, 1975. Available from: http://www.consultant.ru/cons/cgi/online.cgi?req=doc&base=ESU&n=778&rnd =242442.129575489&dst= 100013&fld= 134#0. (In Russ.).
16. The Law of the Republic of Kazakhstan No. 2828 dated January 27, 1996 ”On Subsoil and Subsoil Use”. Edilet (Justice) Information and legal system of regulatory legal acts of the Republic of Kazakhstan. Available from: http://adilet.zan.kz/rus/docs/U960002828_.
17. Ibragimova G. E. The legacy of K.I. Satpayev and the prospects of the Ulytau-Zhezkazgan region. The historical place of Ulytau in the formation of the Kazakh state and national integrity. In: Proceedings of the Republican scientific-practical conference. Astana; 2006. P.73-81. (in Kazakhstanian).
18. Australian Information System AUSGIN Geocience Portal. Available from: http://portal.geosci-ence.gov.au/gmap.html
19. SOFRECO World Bank Study: Kazakhstan legislation regarding licensing mineral exploration rights. July 2013.146 p.
20. The study of mining and metallurgical sectors of industry of the Republic of Kazakhstan. World Bank Document. October 2001, 165 p.
21. Kimelman S. A. Improvement of mechanisms for state management of subsoil. Abstract of Doctoral thesis in Engineering Science. Moscow, 2004, 5 p. (In Russ.).
22. Klyukin B. D. Subsoil use regulation in Western Europe and America (England, Canada, USA, France, Germany). Institute of Legislation and Compartive Jurisprudence under the Government of the Russian Federation. Moscow: Gorodets Publ.; 2000. 442 p. (In Russ.).
23. Code of the Republic of Kazakhstan ”On Subsoil and Subsoil Use ” of December 27, 2017. Edilet (Justice) Information and legal system of regulatory legal acts of the Republic of Kazakhstan. Available from: http://adilet.zan.kz/rus/docs/K1700000125.
24. The Constitution (Basic Law) of the Russian Socialist Federative Soviet Republic (approved by resolution of the XII All-Russian Congress of Soviets of May 11, 1925). Available from: http://constitution.garant.ru/his-tory/ussr-rsfsr/1925/red_1925/.
25. Korneev A. V., Sokolov V. I. The main forms of land ownership and the organization of access to deposits of fuel and energy and mineral resources in the USA: analytical report. Institute of the USA and Canada, the Russian Academy of Sciences. Moscow; 2009. 10 p. (In Russ.).
26. Kinross Gold Corporation. Attracting foreign investment in mining industry of the Russian Federation. Financial and economic research and recommendations for the Government of the Russian Federation, prepared by the Advisory Council on Foreign Investment of the Russian Federation (FIAC). M., 2011, 86 p. (In Russ.).
27. Kournikova A. A. Foreign practice of oil industry taxation. Vestnik Orenburg State University. 2004;(8): 118-122. (In Russ.).
28. Lektorova Yu. Yu. Sociology of public administration in the conditions of society informatization: regional experience. PNRPU Sociology and Economics Bulletin. 2016;(2):68-77. (In Russ.).
29. Memorandum White&Case Kazakhstan. The principle of rational and integrated subsoil use. Astana; 2015. 12 p. (In Russ.).
30. Miletenko N. V., Danilov A. P., Aleksandrov O.V., Dobrolyubova E.I. Project management of the development of the mineral resource base: international experience and implementation priorities in Russia. Prospect and protection of mineral resources. 2017;(7):3-10. (In Russ.).
31. Morgunov E. V. Subsoil Use Management in Canada. Narodonaselenie (Moskva). 2014;(2): 103-113. (In Russ.).
32. Nadyrbaev A. A. Current status of mineral resource base of the Republic of Kazakhstan. Geologiya i nedropol'zovanie Kazakhstana. 2018;1(1): 14-19. (In Russ.).
33. Nakipov A. Law of the Republic of Kazakhstan “On Subsoil and Subsoil Use” of June 24, 2010: practical application. Urist. 2011;(6):30-32. (In Russ.).
34. Tax Code of the Republic of Kazakhstan (Code on taxes and other mandatory payments to budget) of December 27, 2017. Edilet (Justice) Information and legal system of regulatory legal acts of the Republic of Kazakhstan. URL: http://adilet.zan.kz/rus/docs/K1700000120.
35. Nikitina N. Mineral Resource Dilemma: How to Balance the Interests of Government, Local Communities and Abiotic Nature. International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health. 2014; 1(9):8632-8644. DOI: 10.3390/ijerph110908632.
36. Novikova E. V. On ancestry of mining legislation. Subsoil Use and Law. 2007;(14):23-28. (In Russ.).
37. Report of the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development ”Mining Reform in Kazakhstan: Investments, Competitiveness, Sustainable Development”. 2017. 55 p. (In Russ.).
38. Pavlenko V. I., Selyukov V. G. Regulation of subsoil use in the Arctic countries (USA, Canada, Norway). Arctic: ecology and economy. 2013;(3):50-57. (In Russ.).
39. Pasechnik O. S., Romanyuk L. V. The concept and functions of public administration in subsoil use. Scientific Notes of V. I. Vernadsky Crimean Federal University. Juridical science. 2016;2(68)(4):97-105. (In Russ.).
40. Pelevin Yu. A. Berg-privilegiya [Berg privilege]. December 10, 1719. Complete collection of laws of the Russian Empire (CCL). The first collection. St. Petersburg, 1830;V(3464). Available from: http://his-torydoc.edu.ru/catalog.asp?cat_ob_no=15136&ob_no=15135. (In Russ.).
41. The list of submitted applications for issuance of subsoil use licenses. Subsoil Use Department of the Ministry of Industry and Infrastructure Development of the Republic of Kazakhstan. Available from: http://dep-nedra.miid.gov.kz/ru/pages/perechen-podannyh-zayavleniy-na-licenziyu-0
42. Message from President of the Republic of Kazakhstan - Leader of the Nation Nursultan Nazarbayev to the people of Kazakhstan "Kazakhstan-2050 Strategy: a new political course of the established state” dated December 14, 2012. Available from: http://www.akorda.kz/ru/events/astana_kazakhstan/participation_in_events/poslanie-prezidenta-respubliki-kazahstan-lidera-nacii-nursultana-nazarbaeva-narodu-kazahstana-strategiya-kazahstan-2050-novyi-politicheskii-.
43. Presentation material of the Ministry ofInvestment and Development of the Republic of Kazakhstan "Necessary reforms of tax legislation in connection with the development of the draft Code on Subsoil and Subsoil Use ". Astana; 2016. 10 p. (In Russ.).
44. Presentation material of the Ministry of Investment and Development of the Republic ofKazakhstan "Code on Subsoil and Subsoil Use". Astana; 2018. 17 p. (In Russ.).
45. Order of the Minister of Ecology, Geology and Natural Resources of the Republic of Kazakhstan dated September 10, 2019 No. 26-O "Strategic Plan of the Ministry of Ecology, Geology and Natural Resources of the Republic of Kazakhstan for 2017-2021". Edilet (Justice) Information and legal system of regulatory legal acts of the Republic of Kazakhstan.
46. Co-funded Exploration Drilling Program. Available from: http://www.dmp.wa.gov.au/Geological-Survey/EIS-Government-co-funded-1433.aspx.
47. Rud V. V. Analysis of objects and economic and legal mechanisms for managing state ownership of the subsoil. Prospect and protection of mineral resources. 2009;(2):62-66. (In Russ.).
48. Stavsky A. An alternative concept for the development of regional geological works in Russia. Moscow: Mineral Center under the Federal State Unitary Research and Production Enterprise "Aerogeology"; March 2008. 47 p. (In Russ.).
49. Geological Survey of Canada, Strategic Plan 2018-2023). Available from: http://ftp.maps.can-ada.ca/pub/nrcan_rncan/publications/ess_sst/313/313405/gid_313405.pdf.
50. The Structure of the United States Department of Energy. Available from: https://www.en-ergy.gov/sites/prod/files/2019/11/f68/eere-org-chart-110519.pdf.
51. Suleimenov M. K. Oil Law of the Republic of Kazakhstan. Energeticheskoepravo. 2007;(2):4-9. (In Russ.).
52. Tarasov R. S. Directions of Russian industrial policy in the development of mining business in the XVIII - XIX centuries. The Humanities and social sciences. 2012;(5):2-4. (In Russ.).
53. Takhanova S. S. Subsoil management in the Republic of Buryatia. rospect and protection of mineral resources. 2017;(9):3-10. (In Russ.).
54. Toktabaev T. S. Formation of an investment-attractive model of subsoil administration in mining sector of economy. Doctoral thesis in Business Administration. Astana: JSC "KAZGYuU University"; 2017. 152 p. (In Russ.).
55. Topoev A. About a letter from a geologist to Nursultan Nazarbayev. Available from: http://www.matritca.kz/news/43016-ob-odnom-pisme-geologa-nursultanu-nazarbaevu.html.
56. Turkov O. Geology in Kazakhstan: Prosperous past and troubled future. Available from: https://camoni-tor.kz/32521-geologiya-v-kazahstane-bogatoe-proshloe-i-smutnoe-buduschee.html.
57. Yuzhakov V. N., Talapina E. V., Aleksandrov O. V., Tikhomirov Yu. A., Dobrolyubova E. I. The concept of the federal law on public administration in the Russian Federation. Moscow, 2015, 96 p. (In Russ.).
58. Yazev V. A., Ermolovich M. N. Federal and regional legal regulation of mining and processing of common minerals. Moscow: State Duma Publ.; 2014. 160 p. (In Russ.).
59. A Federal Strategy to Ensure Secure and Reliable Supplies of Critical Minerals. 2018. 70 p. Available from: https://www.courthousenews.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/06/minerals-strategy.pdf.
60. Stedman Ashley, Green Kenneth P. Survey of mining companies. Fraser Institute Annual; 2018. 86 p.
61. Extractive Industries Transparency Initiative. Available from: https://eiti.geology.gov.kz.
62. The Canadian Minerals and Metals Plan. March 2019. 52 p. Available from: MinesCanada.ca.
63. Strauch B., Korolchenko A. Mining activities in the focus of investors Common characteristics and differences of the German, French, Russian and Japanese mining law [Bergbau im Fokus der Investoren Gemeinsamkeiten und Unterschiede des deutschen, franzosischen, russischen und Japanischen Bergrechts]. World of Mining - Surface and Underground. 2011;63(3): 156-161.
64. Allanina L. M., Khairullina N. G., Zyleva N. V., Ruf Y. N., Permyakov A. V., Mikhailova M. N., Ale-ksanrovish G. V. Legal regulation of subsurface use - in Russia. Actual problems. International Journal of Environmental and Science Education. 2016;11(18): 12471-12485.
65. Maralbaev A. O., Usupaev Sh. E. Legislation and regulatory framework and its improvement in subsoil use in Kyrgyzstan Information about author. Gornyi Zhurnal. 2016;(8):28-32. DOI: 10.17580/gzh.2016.08.05.
66. Neklyudov E. G. Evolution of legal conditions for development mining industry in the Kingdom of Poland. Voprosy Istorii. 2018;(5): 136-148. (In Russ.).
67. Peru Mining Law. Available from: http://www.iclg.co.uk/practice-Areas/mininglaw/mining-law-2016/peru. [Accessed June 28, 2016].
68. The Chilean Copper Commission (COCHILCO). Ministry of Mining, Government of Chile. Available from: http://www.cochilco.cl/english/legislation/laws.asp. [Accessed June 28 2016].
69. Argentina Mining Law. Available from: http://www.iclg.co.uk/practice-Areas/mining-law/mining-law-2016/argentina. [Accessed June 28 2016].
70. Ghana Mining Law. Available from: https://www.africanlawbusiness.com/publications/mining-law/min-ing-law-2016/ghana/q-And-A. [Accessed June 28 2016].
71. Madagascar Mining Law. Available from: https://www.africanlawbusiness.com/publications/mining-law/mining-law-2016/madagascar/q-And-A. [Accessed June 28 2016].
72. Tanzania Mining Act. Available from: https://mem.go.tz/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/0013_11032013_Min-ing_Act_2010.pdf. [Accessed June 28 2016].
For citation: Baimishev R.N. Effective International Approaches to Subsoil Public Administration. Gornye nauki i tekhnologii = Mining Science and Technology (Russia). 2020;5(2):162-184. https://doi.org/10.17073/2500-0632-2020-2-162-184
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 License.