Increasing Efficiency of Copper-Molybdenum Ore Flotation using Measurement of Pulp Absorption Capacity
A promising line in development of reagent consumption automatic control systems is applying data on measuring collector concentration in the pulp aqueous phase. For effective using data on the concentration of the nonionic collector – allyl ester of amylxanthogenic acid – in the process of flotation, the studies were carried out and the method for analyzing its residual concentration in the flotation pulp liquid phase was developed. The developed spectral technique for measuring the concentration of amylxanthogenic acid allyl ester in the pulp aqueous phase showed stable results in the temperature range of 10 to 25 °С, pH range of 8.5 to 11.0. This allowed applying the technique to measuring residual concentration of AeroMX- 5140 collector in the operation of bulk sulphide flotation in copper-molybdenum ore beneficiation. The laboratory tests allowed determining connection between the indicators of residual concentration with the main indicators of copper-molybdenum flotation. The studies showed that increasing the residual concentration of the non-ionic collector occurs with increasing its consumption and pH of the pulp aqueous phase. It is shown that significant increase in metal recoveries is observed at similar residual collector concentrations: for copper, in the range of 0.25 to 0.5 mg/l, and for molybdenum and pyrite iron, at the concentrations from 0.25 to 1 mg/l. The possibility of using the nonionic collector residual concentration as the informational indicator of the flotation process has been substantiated. It is proposed to use the ore absorption capacity in relation to the collector applied as an indicator of the ore grade. It is shown that using this indicator reduces relative variance for the dependences of the yields of individual ore types and increases the accuracy of determining the composition of the processed ore as a mixture of typical ore grades. An algorithm for automated control of the consumption of flotation reagents based on the advanced control of the processed ore elemental and mineral composition was developed and tested at Erdenet GOK processing plant, with the calculation of the pulp absorption capacity in relation to the nonionic collector, including the beneficiation process indicators determination using an economically-oriented optimization criterion. The expected economic effect from the reduction of metal losses amounted to USD 145 thous.
About the AuthorsV. V. Morozov
I. V. Pestryak
1. Avdokhin V. M. Fundamentals of mineral processing. Part. 1. Beneficiation processes. Moscow: Gornaya Kniga Publ.; 2008. 417 p. (In Russ.)
2. Abramov A. A. Theoretical basics for creating innovative flotation techniques. Part 2. Theoretical basics of physical and chemical modeling of selective flotation of nonferrous metal ores. Tsvetnye Metally [Nonferrous Metals]. 2013;(3):11–15. (In Russ.)
3. AZhF-6 photometric liquid analyzer. Available from: http://ptk-kip.ru/publics/item/4205 (In Russ.)
4. Hao F., Davey K. J., Bruckard W. J., Woodcock J. T. Online analysis for xanthate in laboratory flotation pulps with a UV monitor. International Journal of Mineral Processing. 2008;89(1-4):71–75.
5. Lalla B., Knights B. D. H. & Steenkamp C. J. H. Online Measurement of Xanthate in Flotation Circuits by Means of UV Spectrophotometry. In: Proceedings of 48th Annual Conference of Metallurgists COM. Sudbury, Canada; 2009. P. 46–48.
6. Bulatovic Srdjan M. Handbook of Flotation Reagents Chemistry, Theory and Practice: Flotation of Sulfide Ores. Elsevier Science & Technology Books; 2007. 446 p.
7. Technological instruction for beneficiation of copper-molybdenum ores at the processing plant of the “Erdenet” Mongolian-Russian joint venture. Erdenet, Mongolia; 2014. 194 с. (In Russ.)
8. Morozov V., Davaasambuu D., Ganbaatar Z., etc. Modern systems of automatic control of processes of grinding and flotation of copper-molybdenum ore. In: 16th IFAC Symposium on Control, Optimization and Automation in Mining, Minerals and Metal Processing. 2013;15(1):166–171.
9. Sivkova P. I., Voronin L. V., Molodtsova V. I. Method for quantitative determination of xanthogenic acid ester. Patent No.726472 USSR. Publ. 05.04.1980. Bul. No. 7. (In Russ.)
10. Fleming I, Williams D. H. Spectroscopic Methods in Organic Chemistry. 6th Ed.; 2007. 304 p.
11. Morozov, V.V., Pestryak, I.V., and Erdenezuul, J. Effect of the concentration of nonionic collector, allyl ester of amylxanthogenic acid, on flotation of copper-molybdenum ores. Tsvetnye Metally [Nonferrous Metals], 2018;(11):14–20. (In Russ.)
12. Sun Х., Forsling W. The degradation kinetics of ethyl-xanthate as a function of pH in aqueous solution. Minerals Engineering. 1997;10(4):400–412. DOI: 10.1016/S0892-6875(97)00016-2
13. Leja J. Surface chemistry of froth flotation. Plenum Press; 1982. 329 p.
14. Soroker L. V., Shvidenko A. A. Control of flotation parameters. M., Nedra Publ.; 1979. 232 p. (In Russ.)
15. Erdenezul Jargalsaikhan. Optimization of the processing technology for copper-molybdenum ores based on a complex system of technological and economic criteria. Ph.D. thesis in Engineering Science. Мoscow; 2019. 133 p. (In Russ.)
16. Erdenezul Jargalsaikhan, Khurelchuluun Ishgen. Process optimization of grinding and flotation of coppermolybdenum ores with the use of model-based criteria. In: Proceedings of 22-nd International Conference on Environment and Mineral Processing. Technical university of Оstrava; 2018. P. 152–154.
17. Ganbaatar Z., Morozov V. V., Delgerbat L., Duda A. M. Control of copper-molybdenum ore beneficiation processes with applying advanced quality control. Gornye nauki i tekhnologii = Mining Science and Technology (Russia). 2017;(1):40–48. DOI: 10.17073/2500-0632-2017-1-40-48 (In Russ.)
18. Morozov V. V., Zorigt G., Lodoy D., Morozov Y. P. Modern method and systems of optical ore grade analysis by processing of copper-molybdenum ores. In: Conference Paper IMPC 2018. 29th International Mineral Processing Congress. Moscow; 2019. Р. 52–60.
19. Morozov V. V., Pestryak I. V., Erdenezuul Zhargalsaykhan. Analysis of concentration of a nonionic collector during flotation of copper-molybdenum ores. Scientific fundamentals and practice of processing of ores and technogenic raw materials. In: Proceedings of XXV Int. scientific and technical conf. within the framework of the XVIII Ural Mining Decade. Yekaterinburg; 2020. P. 6–10. (In Russ.)
For citation: Morozov V.V., Jargalsaikhan E., Pestryak I.V. Increasing Efficiency of Copper-Molybdenum Ore Flotation using Measurement of Pulp Absorption Capacity. Gornye nauki i tekhnologii = Mining Science and Technology (Russia). 2020;5(3):188-200. https://doi.org/10.17073/2500-0632-2020-3-188-200
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 License.