Determination of bench, dump and road sliding wedge technological parameters
Mine surveying in mining operations is of particular importance, since all technological processes of the full life cycle of a mining enterprise and, ultimately, its competitiveness depend on the surveying quality, efficiency and reliability. Organizations independently determine the structure of mine surveying services, taking into account the methods applied and the scale of mining. To ensure safe open-pit mining of minerals, it is necessary to permanently assess and monitor the pit bench and wall rock mass condition. Misjudgement of rock physical and mechanical properties, non-observance of the minerals mining and transportation process cycle, changes in climatic conditions and other problems lead to loss of stability of rocks in all parts of an open pit, including in the areas of ore production and mining and transport equipment operation. The existing practice shows that the effectiveness of an open pit wall and bench stability calculation can be achieved using a technique that should take into account the slope deformation and failure mechanism, as well as the nature of the stress-strain state of the open pit rock mass. The studies presented in the paper are based on comparative analysis of the sliding wedge parameters for benches, dumps and roads at open pits using analytical and graphical software packages, and taking into account the static load produced by dump trucks. The study findings allow to establish that: determination of the bench slope stability and the sliding wedge width, performed by the analytical method, gives higher accuracy results than those obtained by the graphical method; the bench slope stability and the sliding wedge width depend not only on the rock physical and mechanical condition, but also on the bench height, the dump truck (plus its freight load) weight per 1 linear meter of the placement area, the distance from the slope edge and other factors; the rock mass is stable and not subject to landslide phenomena for as long as the sum of the holding forces is greater than or equal to the sum of the shearing forces; when using large-sized transport equipment of nonstandard weight in open-pit mining, it is necessary to calculate the safe width of the sliding wedges, taking into account the loads on them (per 1 linear meter), the values of which can be 1.5–2.0 times higher than those calculated for the circular-cylindrical sliding surface.
About the AuthorsI. K. Chunuev
Ishimbay K. Chunuev– Head of Department, Professor, Chairman of the Board of the Kyrgyz Union of Surveyors, the President Kyrgyz Mining Association
SCOPUS ID: 6507330670
Yu. M. Levkin
Yuri M. Levkin – Dr. Sci. (Eng.), Member
Zhusup Bolotbekov – PhD student
1. Gordeev V. A. Comparative analysis of design sliding surfaces in homogeneous slopes. Mine surveying and geodesy. In: Methods and Findings: interuniversity collection of research papers of SPbGGI. St. Petersburg; 1999, pp. 17–21 (in Russ.)
2. Instructions for mine surveying. Approved by the USSR Gosgortekhnadzor; 1985. (In Russ.). URL: https://docs.cntd.ru/document/1200026592
3. Hoek E. Practical Rock Engineering. URL: https://www.rocscience.com/assets/resources/learning/hoek/Practical-Rock-Engineering-Full-Text.pdf
4. Liu Y., Wang X., Gao J. Stability Analysis and Reinforcement Treatment of Open Pit Slope. In: IOP Conference Series: Earth and Environmental Science. 2019;283(1):012009. https://doi.org/10.1088/1755-1315/283/1/012009
5. Liu J., Zhao X.-D., Lu Z.-X. Mining scheme optimization and slope stability analysis for transition from open pit to underground mining. Dongbei Daxue Xuebao. Journal of Northeastern University. 2013;34(9):1327–1329+1334.
6. Chen J., Li K., Chang K.-J., Sofia G., Tarolli P. Open-pit mining geomorphic feature characterization. International Journal of Applied Earth Observation and Geoinformation. 2015;42:76–86. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jag.2015.05.001
7. Ding D., Niu L. Stability analysis and treatment schemes for high and steep slope in bayan obo iron mine. International Journal of Simulation: Systems, Science and Technology. 2016;17(42):13.1–13.4. https://doi.org/10.5013/IJSSST.a.17.42.13
8. Han L., Shu J., Zhou W., Meng Q. Research on mechanical and geometric characteristics of concave end- slope in open-pit mine with mining by areas. Huazhong Keji Daxue Xuebao (Ziran Kexue Ban). Journal of Huazhong University of Science and Technology (Natural Science Edition). 2014;42(3):82–86. https://doi.org/10.13245/j.hust.140318
9. Pevzner M. E., Iofis M. A., Popov V. N. Geomechanics. Moscow: MGGU Publ. House; 2005. 438 p. (In Russ.).
10. Galust’yan E. L. Geomechanical processes control in open pits. Moscow; 1980. 206 p. (in Russ.).
11. Chukin B. A., Chukin R. B. Probability assessment of pit wall stability in jointed rock mass. Gornyi Zhurnal. 2019;(5):36–41. https://doi.org/10.17580/gzh.2019.05.06
12. Besimbaeva O. G., Khmyrova E. N., Nizametdinov F. K., Oleinikova E. A. Assessment and Prediction of Slope Stability in the Kentobe Open Pit Mine. Journal of Mining Science. 2018;54(6):988–994. https://doi.org/10.1134/S1062739118065143
13. Avetisian I. M., Semenova I. E. Forecast of rock mass stability under industrial open pit mine facilities during the open pit deepening. A case study of the Zhelezny open pit, JSC Kovdorsky GOK. In: Litvinenko V. (ed.) EUROCK2018: Geomechanics and Geodynamics of Rock Masses. 1st ed. London: CRC Press; 2018. P. 755–760.
14. Dunaev V. A., Godovnikov N. A. The estimation and forecast of the open pit ledges stability in the rock massif on a basis geoinformation technologies. Mining Informational and Analytical Bulletin. 2014;(4):134–137. (In Russ.).
15. Levkin Yu. M. Application of up-to-date geodetic instruments in mining. Collection of research papers: “Geo-spatial technologies and Earth resources (GTER 2017)”. In: International Conference on Geospatial Techniques and Earth Resources. Hanoi; 2017, pp. 307–311. (In Russ.).
16. Kazikaev D. M., Kozyrev A. A., Kasparyan E. V., Iofis M. A. Control of geomechanical processes in mineral deposit development: Tutorial. Мoscow: Gornaya Kniga; 2016, 490 p. (In Russ.).
17. Pevzner M.E. Rock Deformation Prevention at Open Pits. Мoscow: Nedra; 1978. (In Russ.).
18. Zhumabaev B., Chunuev I.K., Duishenaliev Zh.M. Dumping on inclined glacier surface. The latest conceptual postulates in rock mechanics. In: Methods and Findings: Proceedings of the international conference “Ilim”. Bishkek; 2002, pp. 81–92. (In Russ.).
19. Fisenko G.L., Sapozhnikov V.T., Mochalov A.M. et al. Methodical instructions for determining the slope angles of open pit walls, benches and dumps (under construction and in operation). Leningrad: VNIMI; 1972. 166 p. (In Russ.).
20. Chunuev I.K., Umarov T. S. Experience in the implementation of advanced computer programs in the educational process and at mining enterprises. Gornyi zhurnal. 2016;(8):84–88. (In Russ.).
21. Chunuev I.K., Duishenaliev Zh.M. Problems and prospects of gold production at the Kumtor deposit. Gornyi zhurnal. 2011;(11):68–74. (In Russ.).
22. Regulations for ensuring slope stability at open-pit coal mines. Ministry of Fuel and Energy of the Russian Federation. Mining and Geotechnical Engineering and Mine Surveying Research Institute. Interdisciplinary Scientific Center “VNIMI”. St. Petersburg, 1998. (In Russ.).
23. Draft order of the Federal Service for Environmental, Technological and Nuclear Supervision of the Russian Federation “On the approval of the Federal regulations in the field of industrial safety ‘Regulations for ensuring slope stability of open pits, open-pit coal mines and dumps’”. (In Russ.).
24. Fisenko G. L. Slope Stability of Pit Walls and Dumps. 2nd ed. Moscow: Nedra; 1965. 378 p. (In Russ.).
25. Coulomb C. A. Essai sur une application des règles des maximis et minimis à quelques problèmes de statique relatifs à l’architecture. Mémoires de l'Academie Royale des Sciences. 1776;7:343–387.
26. On the Mathematical Theory of the Stability of Earthwork and Masonry. In: a Letter to Prof. Stokes, Sec. R.S. By W. J. Macquorn Rankine, Esq., C.E., F.R.S., Professor of Civil Engineering in the University of Glasgow. Received February 19, 1856. https://doi.org/10.1098/rspl.1856.0019
27. Kurdyumov V. I. Foundation Engineering Short Course. 3rd ed. Petrograd: G.V. Golsten; 1916. 292 p. (In Russ.).
28. Sokolovsky V. V. Loose Medium Statics. Мoscow: Fizmatgiz; 1960. 243 p. (In Russ.).
29. Avershin S. G. Rock Shear in Underground Mining. Moscow: Ugletekhizdat; 1947. 245 p. (In Russ.).
30. Protodyakonov M. M. Rock Pressure and Mine Support. 2nd ed. Moscow; Leningrad: Ogiz; 1931. 104 p. (In Russ.).
31. Ruppeneit K.V. Some topics of rock mechanics. Moscow: Ugletekhizdat; 1954. 384 p. (In Russ.).
For citation: Chunuev I.K., Levkin Y.M., Bolotbekov Z. Determination of bench, dump and road sliding wedge technological parameters. Gornye nauki i tekhnologii = Mining Science and Technology (Russia). 2021;6(1):31-41. https://doi.org/10.17073/2500-0632-2021-1-31-41
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 License.