Methods and models for creating a market 4PL operator based on a logistics division of a large industrial holding company
The study relevance is due to the low efficiency of logistics systems of industrial enterprises and a limited set of methods for managing operational logistics activities. The work touches upon the key aspects of the activities of company logistics departments, namely the management, motivational, operational, process and information functions. The models and tools presented in the study allow implementing a large-scale concept of changes that modifies the work methods, economics and status of logistics of a large industrial holding company. The developed concept is based on methods of finding a balance between logistics costs, services and risks of dependence on third-party logistics operators, as well as on a set of tools to reduce the share of logistics costs in the cost of finished products of industrial holding companies. A portfolio of projects aimed at introducing a matrix organizational and managerial structure of a logistics company, regulating core activities, normalization and planning of operating activities, introducing a KPI system and staff motivation is used in the study as the basic transformation tools. The issues of automation of a logistics company main processes and creation of a 4PL-operator on the basis of an existing logistics company of a large industrial holding company allowing achieving a significant economic effect and reducing the share of logistics costs in the cost of finished products are considered.
About the AuthorK. Zh. Kudaibergen
Kanat Zh. Kudaibergen – Сhairman of the Board, Member of the Board of Directors
1. Botnaryuk M. V. Partnership is an imperative of conduct of a logistics business Obshchestvo: Politika, Ekonomika, Pravo. 2011;(1):53–57. (In Russ.). URL: http://dom-hors.ru/rus/files/arhiv_zhurnala/pep/8-2011-1/botnaryuk.pdf
2. Zaytsev E. I., Parfenov A. V., Uvarov S. A. Process model for the formation of reliable supply chains. Logistika i Upravlenie Tsepyami Postavok. 2012;(49):5–14. (In Russ.).
3. Kolinski A., Horzela A., Cudzilo M., Domanski R. Reference Model of Information Flow in Business Relations with 4PL Operator. In: Kolinski A., Dujak D., Golinska-Dawson P. (eds.) Integration of Information Flow for Greening Supply Chain Management. EcoProduction (Environmental Issues in Logistics and Manufacturing). Springer, Cham.; 2020. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-030-24355-5_2
4. Botsvin D. V., Mamaev E. A. A model of the functional activity of a container company. Sbornik Nauchnykh Trudov Sworld. 2011;1(1):68–71. (In Russ.).
5. Kapitonov A. E. Organization of container transportation based on the principles of logistics. [Ph.D. thesis in Engineering Science: 05.22.08]. St.-Petersburg; 2001. 190 p. (In Russ.).
6. Botsvin D. V., Kovalev G. A., Mamaev E. A. Organization of consolidated container transportation by rail. Vestnik Rostovskogo Gosudarstvennogo Universiteta Putej Soobshcheniya. 2012;(2):119–125. (In Russ.). URL: https://www.elibrary.ru/item.asp?id=17746486
7. Botsvin D. V. Logistical bases for organization of container transportations on the basis of the coordination company. Transport: Science, Equipment, Management. 2011;(5):58–61. (In Russ.).
8. Bauer A. 4PL providers see logistics as a decisive factor in a competitive activity. Loginfo. 2005;(3):26–27. (In Russ.).
9. Baidya A., Bera K. U., Maiti M. Models for solid transportation problems in logistics using particle swarm optimisation algorithm and genetic algorithm. International Journal of Logistics Systems and Management (IJLSM). 2017;27(4):487–526. https://doi.org/10.1504/IJLSM.2017.085225
10. Çağlar Kalkan B., Aydin K. The role of 4PL provider as a mediation and supply chain agility. Modern Supply Chain Research and Applications. 2020;2(2):99–111. https://doi.org/10.1108/MSCRA-09-2019-0019
11. Baginova V. V., Kuzmin D. V. Features of piggyback in Russia. Modern Problems of Russian Transport Complex. 2013;3(2):49–52. URL: https://transcience.ru/index.php/MPRTC/article/view/2222-9396-2013-4-2-49-52/101
12. Gerami V. D. Logistic terminology in programmatic documents of transport development. Logistics and Supply Chain Management. 2013;1(54):60–63. (In Russ.).
13. Gerami V. D. Logistics centers: international terminology and Classifications 271. Logistika segodnya. 2013;(1):2–7. (In Russ.).
14. Gerami V. D., Kolik A. V. Transport system management. Logistics transport support. Мoscow: Yurait Publ. House; 2016. 438 с. (In Russ.).
15. Cezanne C., Saglietto L. Redefining the boundaries of the firm: the role of 4PLs. The International Journal of Logistics Management. 2015;26(1):30–41. https://doi.org/10.1108/IJLM-06-2012-0054
16. Connecting to complete: Trade Logistics in the Global Economy, the Logistics Performance Index and Its Indicators 2016. EU: World Bank; 2016. 72 р. URL: https://openknowledge.worldbank.org/handle/10986/24598
17. Volkov V. D., Gerami V. D. System-operational bases of logistics and supply chain management. Integrirovannaya Logistika. 2011;(2):6–10. (In Russ.).
18. Baskakov P. V., Matyushin L. N. Integration of Russia into the international transport system (functional aspect) Ekonomicheskaya Teoriya, Analiz, Praktika. 2015;(5):66–88. (In Russ.).
19. Folinas D. (ed.) Outsourcing management for supply chain operations and logistics service. Hershey, PA: IGI Global; 2013. http://doi:10.4018/978-1-4666-2008-7
20. Dyczkowska J. 4PL logistics operator in the supply chain. Zeszyty Naukowe Akademii Sztuki Wojennej. 2018;110(1):25–36. https://doi.org/10.5604/01.3001.0012.1461
21. Papadopoulou E. M., Manthou V., Vlachopoulou M. 4PL network partnerships: the pre-selection phase. International Journal of Logistics. 2013;16(3):175–192. https://doi.org/10.1080/13675567.2013.809708
22. Gapanovich V. A., Rozenberg I. N. Basic trends in development of smart railway transport. Zheleznodorozhnyy Transport. 2011;(4):5–11. (In Russ.). URL: https://www.elibrary.ru/item.asp?id=16386369
23. Sahin E., Başaran N., Aktan C. Relation of 3PL and 4PL activies and their effect on emerging economies. International Journal of Management Economics and Business. 2016;12:262–269. https://doi.org/10.17130/ijmeb.2016icafr22440
24. Fact-finding studies in support of the development of an EU strategy for freight transport logistics Lot 1: Analysis of the EU logistics sector. Final report. 2015. URL: https://ec.europa.eu/transport/sites/transport/files/themes/strategies/studies/doc/2015-01-freight-logistics-lot1-logistics-sector.pdf (Accessed: 20.12.2020)
25. Gruchmann T., Melkonyan A., Krumme K. Logistics Business Transformation for Sustainability: Assessing the Role of the Lead Sustainability Service Provider (6PL). Logistics. 2018;2(4):25. https://doi.org/10.3390/logistics2040025
26. Gagarsky E. A. The progressive (logistics) transport-technological systems as factor of reducing an insurance risk. Transport: Science, Equipment, Management. 2011;(9):14–16.
27. Gruchmann T., Pratt N., Eiten J., Melkonyan A. 4PL digital business models in sea freight logistics: the case of FreightHub. Logistics. 2020;4(2):10. https://doi.org/10.3390/logistics4020010
28. Handfield R. Preparing for the era of the digitally transparent supply chain: a call to research in a new kind of journal. Logistics. 2017;1(1):2. https://doi.org/10.3390/logistics1010002
29. Stepanov D. Yu. Integration of logistics and finance modules in the implementation of corporate information systems through the example of SAP ERP. Problemy ekonomiki. 2014;62(4):22–27. (In Russ.).
30. Stepanov D. Yu. Methods for integration of corporate information system data. Natural and Technical Sciences. 201;69(1):207–213. (In Russ.).
31. Yakunin V. I. New forms of interaction of railway and sea transport under conditions of globalization of international freight transportations. Transport: Science, Equipment, Management. 2007;(8):4–12.
32. Schramm H.-J., Czaja C. N., Dittrich M., Mentschel M. Current advancements of and future developments for fourth party logistics in a digital future. Logistics. 2019;3(1):7. https://doi.org/10.3390/logistics3010007
33. Hubski M. 3PLand 4 PL-companies as a key element of the state policy in the field of logistics. Problemy upravlenia (Minsk). 2009;30(1):75–79. URL: https://www.elibrary.ru/item.asp?id=28400051
34. Yang H., Zuo Y. H., Li Y. R. IoT-based 4PL: prospects and business models. Applied Mechanics and Materials. 2013;273:65–69. https://doi.org/10.4028/www.scientific.net/amm.273.65
35. Lee H.-Y., Seo Y.-J., Dinwoodie J. Supply chain integration and logistics performance: the role of supply chain dynamism. The International Journal of Logistics Management. 2016;27(3):668–685. https://doi. org/10.1108/IJLM-06-2015-0100
36. Kirillova A. G. Methodology for organizing container and piggyback transportation in multimodal rail and road transportation. [Doctoral thesis in Engineering Science: 05.22.01]. 2010. 335 с. (In Russ.).
37. Klepikov V. V. Logistics centers as a tool for organizing multimodal transportation. Morskie porty Rossii. 2003;(3):37–41. (In Russ.).
38. Klimenko V. 4PL-providers’ role in logistic centres control. Logistika. 2012;(4):38–40. URL: http:// www.logistika-prim.ru/sites/default/files/38-40.pdf
39. Zubkov V., Ryazanova E. Methods for efficient inferaction of participants of transportation process at transport junctions. Vestnik Rostovskogo Gosudarstvennogo Universiteta Putej Soobshcheniya. 2012;(1):135–143. URL: https://www.elibrary.ru/item.asp?id=17743441
40. Hinkka V.,Häkkinen M., Holmström J., Främling K. Supply chain typology for configuring cost-efficient tracking in fashion logistics. The International Journal of Logistics Management. 2015;26(1):42–60. https://doi.org/10.1108/IJLM-03-2011-0016
41. Mehmann J., Teuteberg F., Freye D. Sequencing of bulk transports in a 4PL scenario. In: The International Conference on Logistics & Sustainable Transport. Celje, Slovenia. 2013;10.
42. Dovnar V.I. On the paths of domestic logistics development. Ekonomika i upravlenie (Minsk). 2013;(3):110–112. (In Russ.). URL: https://www.elibrary.ru/item.asp?id=36577193
43. Jonsson P. Logistics and Supply Chain Management. London: McGraw-Hill Higher Education; 2008. 491 р.
44. Lambrechts W., Son-Turan S., Reis L., Semeijn J. Lean, green and clean? Sustainability reporting in the logistics sector. Logistics. 2019;3(1):3. https://doi.org/10.3390/logistics3010003
45. Macharis C., Melo S., Woxenius J., van Lier T. (eds.) Sustainable Logistics Vol: 6. Emerald Group Publishing; 2014. 365 p. https://doi.org/10.1108/S2044-994120140000006022
46. Yeralin Z. M., Goncharenko S. N. Models for solving key problems of strategic development of uranium mines. Mining informational and analytical bulletin. 2019;4:199-208. (In Russ). https://doi.org/10.25018/0236-1493-2019-04-0-199-208
47. Vostrikov A. V., Prokofeva E. N., Goncharenko S. N., Gribanov I. V. Analytical modeling for the modern mining industry. Eurasian Mining. 2019; (2):30–35. https://doi.org/10.17580/em.2019.02.07
48. Huang M., Ren L., Lee L.-H., Wang X. 4PL routing optimization under emergency conditions. Knowledge-Based Systems. 2015;89:126–133. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.knosys.2015.06.023
49. Ayan O., Ozturk M. G., Kosegolu A. M., Colak M. Supply chain resilience in 4PL companies. In: 4th Global Business Research Congress. 2018. Istanbul, Turkey. 2018;7:359-361. https://doi.org/10.17261/Pressacademia.2018.916
50. Dement’ev A. V. Contract Logistics (Monograph). St.-Petersburg: Knizhnyy Dom LLC Publ; 2013. 146 p. (In Russ.).
51. Randall W. S., Hawkins T. G., Haynie J. J., Nowicki D. R. et. al. Performance-based logistics and interfi team processes: an empirical investigation. Journal of Business Logistics. 2015;36(2):212–230. https://doi.org/10.1111/jbl.12084
52. Dybskaya V. V., Zaytsev E. I., Sergeev V. I., Stergligova A. N. Logistics. Мoscow: Eksmo Publ.; 2014. 944 p. (In Russ.).
53. Schramm H.-J., Czaja C. N., Dittrich M., Mentschel M. Current advancements of and future developments for fourth party logistics in a digital future. Logistics. 2019;3(1):7. https://doi.org/10.3390/logistics3010007
54. Verhoeven P., Sinn F., Herden T. T. Examples from blockchain implementations in logistics and supply chain management: exploring the mindful use of a new technology. Logistics. 2018;2(3):20. https://doi.org/10.3390/logistics2030020
55. Vivaldini M. 3PL, 4PL and insourcing logistics. Revista Gestão da Produção Operações e Sistemas. 2015;10:21–38. https://doi.org/10.15675/gepros.v10i4.1237
56. Qian X., Fang S.-C., Yin M., et. al. Selecting green third party logistics providers for a loss-averse fourth party logistics provider in a multiattribute reverse auction. Information Sciences. 2021;548:357–377. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ins.2020.09.011
57. Qian X., Huang M., Yin M., Zhang Q., Yu Y. A Multiattribute decision approach for 4PL supply base design. In: 2019 Chinese Control and Decision Conference (CCDC). 2019, pp. 4281–4285. https://doi.org/10.1109/CCDC.2019.8832611
58. Gubenko V. S. Freight supply chain management based on the principles of logistics outsourcing. [Abstract of Doctoral Thesis in Economics]. St-Petersburg: INZHEKON Publ.; 2009. 18 p. (In Russ.).
59. Qian X., Chan F. T.S., MingqiangYin, Qingyu Zhang et. al. A two-stage stochastic winner determination model integrating a hybrid mitigation strategy for transportation service procurement auctions. Computers & Industrial Engineering. 2020;149:106703. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cie.2020.106703
60. Cui Y., Huang M., Dai Q. 4PL collaborative routing customization problem on the dynamic networks. In: 2017 13th IEEE Conference on Automation Science and Engineering (CASE). 2017, pp. 1345–1349. https://doi.org/10.1109/COASE.2017.8256289
61. Cui Y., Huang M., Zhang X., Yang X. 4PL routing problem on fuzzy time varying networks. In: First International Conference Economic and Business Management 2016. 2016, pp. 438–444. https://doi.org/10.2991/febm-16.2016.67
62. Cui Y., Huang M., Liu J. Multi-objective 4PL routing problem on time varying networks. In: 12th International Conference on Natural Computation, Fuzzy Systems and Knowledge Discovery (ICNC-FSKD). 2016, pp. 271–275. https://doi.org/10.1109/FSKD.2016.7603185
63. Zemzam A., Maataoui E. M., Hlyal M. et. al. Inventory management of supply chain with robust control theory: literature review. International Journal of Logistics Systems and Management (IJLSM). 2017;27(4);438–465. https://doi.org/10.1504/IJLSM.2017.10005787
64. Linyova O. N. Evaluation of logistics system functioning effectiveness. Rossiyskoe predprinimatelstvo. 2008;(6–1):21–23. (In Russ.).
For citation: Kudaibergen K.Z. Methods and models for creating a market 4PL operator based on a logistics division of a large industrial holding company. Gornye nauki i tekhnologii = Mining Science and Technology (Russia). 2021;6(2):90-104. https://doi.org/10.17073/2500-0632-2021-2-90-104
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 License.