Methods of studying structure and properties of rocks using samples (short review)
Some non-destructive methods for internal rock structures control are described, and examples of their use are given. Examples of the application of X-ray and neural tomography, scanning electron and acoustic microscopy are also presented. It is shown that the method of laser-ultrasonic structuroscopy is rather promising. Two examples of the use of laser-ultrasonic structuroscopy are given: measuring local porosity of geomaterial samples and monitoring changes of internal structure as a result of electromagnetic exposure.
About the AuthorsA. A. Karabutov
E. B. Cherepetskaya
A. N. Kravcov
Thákurova 7/2077, Prague 6 - Dejvice, 166 29
FRE CNRS 3744 - IRDL, Brest, F-29806
1. Re F., Scavia C. Determination of contact areas in rock joints by X-ray computer tomography, International Journal of Rock Mechanics and Mining Sciences, 1999, vol. 36, i. 7, pp. 883-890.
2. Lichun J., Mian C. 3D imaging of frac-tures in carbonate rocks using X-ray computed tomography technology, Carbonates and Evaporites, 2014, vol. 29, i. 2, pp. 147-153.
3. Asskar J. C., Saman S. K. Microstructure characteristics of cementstabilized sandy soil using nanosilica, Journal of Rock Mechanics and Geotechnical Engineering, 2017, vol. 9, i. 5, pp. 981-988.
4. Diaz M., Yeom Kim K., Yeom S., Zhuang L., Min K., Krauß F., Giese R., Alexandrakis C., Buske S. Surface roughness characterization of open and closed rock joints in deep cores using X-ray computed tomography, International Journal of Rock Mechanics and Mining Sciences, 2017, vol. 98, pp. 10- 19.
5. Winkler, B., Knorr, K., Kahle, A., Vontobel, P., Lehmann, E., Hennion, B. and Bayon, G. Neutron imaging and neutron tomography as nondestructive tools to study bulkrock samples. European Journal of Mineralogy, 2002, p. 14. DOI: 10.1127/09351221/ 2002/00140349.
6. Hall, S.A. Characterization of fluid flow in a shear-band in porous rock using neutron radiography, Geophysical Research Letters, 2013, vol. 40, pp. 2613–2618.
7. Kardjilov N., Baechler S,, Bastuerk M., Dierick M., Jolie J., Lehmann E,, Materna T., Schillinger P., Vontobe P. New features in cold neutron radiography and tomography Part II: applied energy-selective neutron radiography and tomography, Nuclear Instruments and Methods in Physics Research A 501, 2003, pp. 536-546.
8. Jun C., Zheng X., Yue Y., Yangping Y. Experimental characterization of granite damage using nonlinear ultrasonic techniques, NDT & E International, 2014, vol. 67, pp. 10-16.
9. Mesut T., Figen S.K., Yalcin U.K. Application of ultrasonic method in asphalt concrete testing for fatigue life estimation, NDT & E International, 2004, vol. 37, i. 8, pp. 597-602.
10. Spence J. Experimental High-Resolution Electron Microscopy, Oxford, 2013, pp. 300-302.
11. Balk L.J. Scanning acoustic microscopy, Surface and Subsurface Anal., 1986, v.9.
12. Maev R.G. Proc. of 26th Acoustical Imaging Symposium: held September 9-12, 2001, in Windsor, Ontario, Canada, New York, NY, Kluwer Academic Publishers, Acoustical Imaging, 2002, vol. 26, pp. 493-501.
13. Prasad M., Reinstaedtler M., Nur A., Walter A. Quantitative Acoustic Microscopy: Application to petro physical study of reservoir rocks, Acoustical Imaging, vol. 26, 2002, pp. 493-502.
14. Prasad M. Mapping impedance micro-structures in rocks with acoustic microscopy, Stanford University, Stanford, 2001, pp. 172-179.
15. Scruby C.B., Drain L. E. Laser Ultrasonic: Techniques and Applications, Bristol, Adam Hilger, 1990.
16. Bemal M.T., Capporaletti G., Rebollo M.A., Quintian F.P., Raffo C.A. Determination of rocks porosity by means of nondestructive techniques that use ultrasound generated by laser, 15thWCNDT, Roma, 2000, Available at: http://www.nctLnet/article/wcndt00/papers/idn571/idn571.htm
17. Wang L. Photo acoustic Imaging and Spectroscopy (Optical Science and Engineer-ing), CRC Press, 2009, 499 p.
18. Vaisberg L.A., Kameneva E.E. Interconnection of structural features anal physical-mechanical properties of rocks, Gornyi Zhurnal, 2017, vol. 9, pp. 53-58.
19. Gusev V. E., Karabutov A.A. Laser optoacoustics, Nauka, Moscow, 1991, 304 p.
20. Karabutov A.A., Makarov V.A., Shkuratnik V.L., Cherepetskaya EB. Teoreticheskaja ocenka parametrov ul'trazvukovyh impul'sov, vozbuzhdaemyh v geomaterialah lazernym izlucheniem [Theoretical estimation of the parameters of ultrasonic pulses excited in geomaterials by laser radiation]. FTPRPI. 2003. No. 4. Pp. 11-18.
For citation: Karabutov A.A., Cherepetskaya E.B., Kravcov A.N., Arrigoni M. Methods of studying structure and properties of rocks using samples (short review). Gornye nauki i tekhnologii = Mining Science and Technology (Russia). 2018;(4):10-20. https://doi.org/10.17073/2500-0632-2018-4-10-20
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 License.