The Influence of Tailings Storage Facilities in the Eastern Part of Jiu Valley on the Water Quality
Mining and sustainable development may be compatible with the priority of measures to reduce impacts on the major ecosystems with severe consequences for the future generations. Infiltration of contaminated water into soils/rocks due to activity of different sectors of mining industry causes increasing concentration of minor and major deleterious elements in natural environment, forcing an economic operator to implement the best available techniques to solve severe environmental problems. The research is aimed at determining heavy metal contents in tailings storage facilities of coal mining operations in the eastern part of JiuValley, revealing mechanism of interaction of the TSF infiltrate with EastJiuRiver, as well as assessing the impact of the TSF on quality of the natural environment. One more aim of the research was to determine the ways by which the TSF components produce negative impact on the soils and surface waters. The obtained results can be fundamental basis for the future researches in the field of closing and maintaining the mining activities in JiuValleyand the land reclamation.
About the AuthorsA. F. Simion
1. Adriano D. C.Trace elements in Terrestrial Environments. Biogeochemisty, Bioavailability and Risk of Metals. Second ed. Springer; 2001.
2. Costache C., Modrogan C. Ecotoxicology and risk assessment. Agir Publishing House, Romania; 2006.
3. Iancu O. G., Buzgar N. The geochemical atlas of heavy metals in the soils of the city also takes its surroundings. Alexandru Ioan Cuza University Publishing House, Romania; 2008.
4. Lazar M., Dumitrescu I. Anthropic impact on the environment. Universitas Publishing House, Romania; 2006.
5. Lazar M. The rehabilitation of the degraded lands. Universitas Publishing House, Romania; 2010.
6. Murariu A., Stratu A., Costică N., Costică M., Secu C, Răşcanu D. Researches concerning the impact pollution with heavy metals of soil and vegetation on the area of domestic waste deposit at TomeştiIaşi, An. Şt. Ale Univ. "Al. I. Cuza" Iaşi, T. LIII, s II a, Biologie vegetală; 2007.
7. ORDIN nr. 756 din 3 noiembrie 1997 pentru aprobarea Reglementării privind evaluarea poluării mediului.
8. Siegel F. R. Environmental Geochemistry of Potentially Toxic Elements. SpringerVerlag, Berlin; 2002. P. 218.
9. SR EN 15309:2007 Characterization of waste and soils -Determination of the X-ray fluorescence elementary composition.
For citation: Simion A.F., Drebenstedt C., Lazar M. The Influence of Tailings Storage Facilities in the Eastern Part of Jiu Valley on the Water Quality. Gornye nauki i tekhnologii = Mining Science and Technology (Russia). 2019;4(4):292-301. https://doi.org/10.17073/2500-0632-2019-4-292-301
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 License.