PEST-analysis of Nivensky Mining and Concentration Complex development in Kaliningrad region
Today, in the times of economic uncertainty and unpredictability, it is important to respond to new challenges in a timely manner, using relevant tools to make effective management decisions. In the world practice, one of such tools for effective management of an industrial enterprise project is PEST-analysis, the functionality of which is considered in this paper. The study purpose is to conduct PEST-analysis, review and analyze the factors affecting the development of the Nivensky GOK (Mining and Concentration Complex), located in the Kaliningrad region – an export-oriented investment project to build a new industrial enterprise with core production of a premium mineral fertilizer, potassium sulfate. Based on the analysis, the paper proposes a number of feasible preventive measures for mitigating effects of negative factors, as well as for the development of strengths of the Nivensky GOK’s company-operator, “K-Potash Service” LLC. Thus, PEST-analysis of key micro- and macroeconomic factors allowed to comprehensively assess the position of Nivensky GOK in the emerging mining-and-chemical industry of Kaliningrad region. The study established the degree of influence of other internal and external factors on the company as well, including the possibilities of introducing new innovative techniques in the industrial enterprise operation, trends in the development of the mineral fertilizer market, taking into account the geopolitical context. Conclusions, recommendations and proposals allow evaluating the company and the possibilities of its development for making strategic and long-term decisions on the project development. The main results of the study can be used as effective tools for optimizing development of the new industrial enterprise project, Nivensky GOK.
About the AuthorsD. P. Tibilov
Denis P. Tibilov – Dr. Sci. (Econ.), Professor of the Department of Innovation Management
Scopus ID 12039989600
Y. A. Domakhina
Yulia A. Domakhina – Assistant, International Institute for Energy Policy and Innovation Management (MIEP)
N. A. Lipnitsky
Nikita A. Lipnitsky – Deputy CEO of Development
Scopus ID 57202900186
1. Dyatlova Ye. I. Kaliningrad region transport infrastructure development strategy: tasks and ways of implementation. Transport of the Russian Federation. 2017;(5):33–38. (In Russ.). URL: https://cyberleninka.ru/article/n/strategiya-razvitiya-transportnoy-infrastruktury-kaliningradskoy-oblasti-zadachi-i-putirealizatsii/viewer
2. Chernova O. A., Laskova T. S. Economics and enterprise management. Manual for graduate students: Southern Federal University. Rostov-on-Don, Taganrog: Publishing house of Southern Federal University; 2019. 78 p. (In Russ.).
3. Morozova K. V. Comparative analysis of methods for studying an enterprise external environment. Innovation Science. 2016;(5–1):141–143 (In Russ.). URL: https://aeterna-ufa.ru/sbornik/IN-2016-05-1.pdf
4. Mineral fertilizers: a practical guide to the properties and peculiarities of application. SAMARA-ARIS. 2017 (In Russ.). URL: https://agrovesti.net/lib/tech/fertilizer-tech/mineralnye-udobreniya-prakticheskoeposobie-po-svojstvam-i-osobennostyam-primeneniya.html (Accessed: 18.10.2020).
5. Gumenyuk I. S. Assessment of transport accessibility of rural territories of the Kaliningrad region using methods of sociological research. Vestnik IKBFU. Natural and Medical Sciences. 2020;(2):38–48. (In Russ.) URL: https://journals.kantiana.ru/upload/iblock/105/3_%D0%93%D1%83%D0%BC%D0%B5%D0%BD%D1%8E%D0%BA_38-48.pdf
6. Melnyk T. Analysis of participation of Ukrainian enterprises in international industrial networks. In: Melnyk T. (ed.) Global determinants of the international movements of production factors: economic-legal and institutional context. Tallinn, Estonia: «Scientific Route» OÜ; 2018. P. 21–36. URL: http://cslnaskr.krena.kg/collections/uploads/global-determinants-of-the-international-movement-of-production-factors-economic_RuLit_Me_612582.pdf
7. Sammut-Bonnici T., Galea D. PEST analysis. In: Wiley Encyclopedia of Management. Vol. 12. Strategic Management. Wiley; 2015. https://doi.org/10.1002/9781118785317.weom120113
8. Crouzet N., Eberly J. C. Understanding weak capital investment: The role of market concentration and intangibles. Working paper. National Bureau of Economic Research; 2019. https://doi.org/10.3386/w25869
9. Correa C., Vinuales J. E. Intellectual property rights as protected investments: how open are the gates? Journal of International Economic Law. 2016;19(1):91–120. https://doi.org/10.1093/jiel/jgw005
10. von der Gracht H. A., Darkow I.-L. The future role of logistics for global wealth – scenarios and discontinuities until 2025. Foresight. 2012;15(5):405–419. https://doi.org/10.1108/FS-05-2012-0031 (Accessed: 18.10.2020).
11. Awdel Z. M, Odel N. M, Saadi W. F. The rise of the globalization and its effect on the autonomy of state and political economy. Journal of Critical Reviews. 2020;7(6):998–1000. http://dx.doi.org/10.31838/jcr.07.06.171
12. Iglesias O., Ind N. Towards a theory of conscientious corporate brand co-creation: the next key challenge in brand management. Journal of Brand Management. 2020;27:710–720. https://doi.org/10.1057/s41262-020-00205-7
13. Buchholz S., Briggs B. Tech Trends 2020. Deloitte Insights. 2020. https://www2.deloitte.com/content/dam/Deloitte/cz/Documents/technology/DI_TechTrends2020.pdf (Accessed: 18.10.2020).
14. Sammut-Bonnici T., Paroutis S. Developing a dominant logic of strategic innovation. Management Research Review. 2013;36(10):924–938. https://doi.org/10.1108/MRR-08-2013-0184
15. Skarbek D. Qualitative research methods for institutional analysis. Journal of Institutional Economics. 2020;16(4):409–422. https://doi.org/10.1017/S174413741900078X
16. Lorentzen P., Fravel M. T., Paine J. Qualitative investigation of theoretical models: the value of process tracing. Journal of Theoretical Politics. 2017;29(3):467–491. https://doi.org/10.1177/0951629816664420
For citation: Tibilov D.P., Domakhina Y.A., Lipnitsky N.A. PEST-analysis of Nivensky Mining and Concentration Complex development in Kaliningrad region. Gornye nauki i tekhnologii = Mining Science and Technology (Russia). 2021;6(3):221-228. https://doi.org/10.17073/2500-0632-2021-3-221-228
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 License.